Sunday, December 25, 2011

Jesus holiday

I thought maybe to write something about this holiday.  One that dropped away for me so long ago.  I always loved to celebrate for my two boys and partner, it was a good time, but it never really help any strong tradition for me to carry on in my later years.  My family has made this a big tradition and I am lucky to be raised in the tribe I was presented to.  Some time after my mom was in remission from lymphoma, we all sort of shifted our ways and turn Christmas not about gift giving anymore, but time to just celebrate family.  We're low key drama and genuinely enjoy each others company with good food and drink.

Life is very short and where I know not every family has the opportunity to get along swimmingly, I was always wanted to make sure that I provided that for my boys.

When we think about xmas, I can no longer even justify gift giving and the other shenanigans of the pressure of spending money...it's all so screwy.  How many times have I heard people say, "Oh wow, I cant believe he/she got me that, I don't even like that?"  To me, that is completely ungrateful and why are you even pretending to be part of a family and placing judgement on something that a loved one bought you.  Be thankful that someone just decided to give because they wanted to give.  I don't know, there is something wrong in American Society where there is so much p residence on giving the ultimate gift.  I think the wost commercial every year is the Lexus car giving.  Seriously, give a car for xmas?  Isn't that a bit much?  Wouldn't you rather give your time to someone in need of something?  There are always volunteer jobs for xmas whether it be a local shelter. I still go every year to help out.

Notice I can't even capitalize the 'x' in xmas.  Poof.

No comments:

Post a Comment